Founded and incorporated in 1994, the British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa (BIFHSGO) is a not-for-profit genealogical organization.
Our vision: To connect, educate, share and inspire.
Our mission: To encourage family history research, and its dissemination, by people with ancestry throughout the British Isles (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands) through
- connecting BIFHSGO members with each other and other like-minded persons;
- educating both beginning and more experienced family historians by promoting and demonstrating trusted research methods and best practices;
- sharing members’ knowledge readily with other researchers; and
- inspiring others through educational presentations and members’ published stories.
As a society, we value
- stewardship: taking an active role in the society’s activities (volunteering, presenting, writing, etc.) to ensure BIFHSGO continues to thrive;
- innovation: seeking fresh ways to encourage and facilitate family history research, and its dissemination;
- excellence: achieving a high standard in family history research through adoption of best practices;
- sharing: sharing information and experience among members and with others;
- integrity: communicating with honesty, openness and transparency; and
- collaboration: conducting activities with cooperation and mutual respect.
We have more than 500 members, and about 30 percent of them live outside the National Capital Region.
We are governed by a Board of Directors and the following:
Additional policies include:
BIFHSGO is a member of:
We work in close cooperation with Library and Archives Canada on researching Canada's Home Children, particularly the indexing of Home Children's names found in ships' passenger lists and in the records of the Middlemore Homes. BIFHSGO's role in Canada's Home Children story is to establish databases of information about Home Children who came to Canada and to ensure that the information compiled is freely available to all.
BIFHSGO Founders: Gary Bagley, Bob Campbell, Ken Collins, Jim Heal, Jack Moody, Gerry Neville, Brian O'Regan, Alan Rayburn, and Fern Small.