DNA Research Guide
DNA — our natural source of genealogical information
We inherit our DNA from our biological parents. By comparing our DNA with that of others we can find, confirm, or disprove relationships. By comparing our DNA with that of homogenous groups we can gain insight into ethnic ancestry.
Our DNA Interest Group meets every other month at the City of Ottawa Central Archives to share experiences, information, and ideas about the use of DNA evidence in exploring family history. We invite BIFHSGO members and non-members to join us.
Our meetings are open to BIFHSGO members and non-members. Visit the Meetings page to learn about the date of our next meeting. For more information, please contact us at email@example.com.
Books we recommend
- Deep Ancestry: Inside the Genographic Project. The Landmark DNA Quest to Decipher Our Distant Past, Spenser Wells
- DNA and Social Networking, Debbie Kennett
- Forensic Genealogy, Colleen Fitzpatrick
- Trace Your Roots with DNA, Megan Smolenyak and Ann Turner
For those developing an interest in the application of DNA to genealogical research.
- Double Helix, James D. Watson
- Genetics for Dummies, Tara Rodden Robinson
- Seven Daughters of Eve, Bryan Sykes
A more comprehensive list of books is available on the International Society of Genetic Genealogy's Wiki.
Our group members’ websites and blogs
Resources and handouts from our meetings
- Transferring AncestryDNA to FTDNA or My Heritage and My Top DNA Hints Shirley Monkhouse, September 2018
- George's Unexpected Journey George Chapman, May 2018
- Current Genealogy Practice - Computer Tools and DNA Tests R.E.(Bob) Butler, February 2018
- I Took a DNA Test – Now What Do I Do? Shirley Monkhouse, January 2017
- Sources and Resources For Genetic DNA Genealogy Research Shirley Monkhouse, January 2017
- DNA and Adoption Websites Shirley Monkhouse, January 2017
- So You Decided to Do a DNA Test! Shirley Monkhouse, January 2017
- Visual Phasing for Grandparents using Crossover Events Arthur Owen, May 2017
- DNA Testing, So You Decided to Do It An introduction to gender DNA – mt, x and y, Shirley Monkhouse, July 2016
- DNA Sources and Resources Shirley Monkhouse, July 2016