Our monthly meetings, conferences, and special events attract large numbers of family historians.
Membership is one of BIFHSGO key focus areas. Under the leadership of our Director of Membership, we are committed to creating a sense of community where people, interested in learning about their family history, primarily in the British Isles and Canada, come together.
At our monthly meetings, annual conferences, all-day workshops, and special interest groups, like-minded researchers share and network.
Learn, share, belong
BIFHSGO members want to learn about and conduct good research, attend and present excellent talks, and read and write well-documented articles for our quarterly journal, Anglo-Celtic Roots.
Many of us volunteer to help host events, create online research databases, and answer members' questions.
We like to share what we discover in one-on-one situations and in special interest groups.
A number of our members deliver presentations at our meetings and conferences and at events across Canada and elsewhere. Some have published books on genealogy research, others blog about their findings, and even more have written their family history.
We invite you to join us. Our membership year runs from January to December.
Free monthly meetings for all
We invite you — members and non-members — to attend our free Monthly Meetings and Before BIFHSGO Education Talks, held on the second Saturday of the month, from September to June.
- Four issues of our quarterly journal, Anglo-Celtic Roots (View archived issues)
- Ten free monthly meetings, which include pre-meeting educational sessions, a featured speaker, and Discovery Tables
- Monthly e-newsletter
- Access to the Members Only section, which includes handouts and videos of presentations delivered at recent meetings and conferences
- Posting family names to our Surname Research database
- Discount on registration fees for our annual conference
- Findmypast.com — 50% discount for our members
- Forces War Records — 40% discount for our members
- Free query and advisory services
- Opportunities to meet friendly people who share common interests and want to help others learn to research and share family history
2018 Membership categories and fees
- Individual: $45
- Family (two people at the same address): $55
- Institutional (any institution such as a publisher, supplier, library, or society): $45
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Join or renew online, by mail, or in person
Note: In early November 2017, you will be able to join for the remainder of the year and all of 2018 for the same annual fee. If you take out a half-year 2017 membership now, it will end December 31, 2017.
- To become a new member, go to Join Online.
- To join by mail or in person at one of our monthly meetings, print the Online Registration form, or pick up a form at our meeting, fill in the required information, and mail or hand deliver. Or you may print and complete the 2018 membership application form and mail it to us. Payment can be made by cheque or money order payable to BIFHSGO, or by cash.
- To renew your membership online, log in to the Members Only section. Then, in the margin on the left, click on Profile under Members Only. From there, you can easily renew, and your name and address are already entered for you.
- To renew by mail or in person, print and complete the 2018 renewal form.
- Once your completed form is received, you will hear from the Membership Director, who will tell you how to access the "Members Only" section of our website.
Support BIFHSGO by volunteering or making a donation
- We have a wide range of volunteer opportunities, whether you have a few hours to spare or more time to share. Visit our Volunteer Page for more information.
- If you would like to support BIFHSGO, please consider making an online donation through CanadaHelps.