Our monthly meetings, conferences, and special events attract large numbers of family historians.
Membership is one of BIFHSGO's key focus areas. Under the leadership of our Membership Director, we are committed to creating a sense of community where people interested in learning about their family history, primarily in the British Isles and Canada, come together.
At our monthly meetings, annual conferences, all-day workshops, and special interest groups, like-minded researchers share and network.
Learn, share, belong
BIFHSGO members want to learn about and conduct good research, attend and present excellent talks, and read and write well-documented articles for our quarterly journal, Anglo-Celtic Roots.
Many of us volunteer to help host events, create online research databases, and answer members' questions.
We like to share what we discover in one-on-one situations and in special interest groups.
A number of our members deliver presentations at our meetings and conferences and at events across Canada and elsewhere. Some have published books on genealogy research, others blog about their findings, and even more have written their family history.
We invite you to join us. Our membership year runs from January to December.
Free monthly meetings for all
We invite you—members and non-members—to attend our free Monthly Meetings and Before BIFHSGO Education Talks, held on the second Saturday of the month, from September to June.
- Four issues of our quarterly journal, Anglo-Celtic Roots (View the archived issues)
- Ten free monthly meetings, which include pre-meeting educational sessions, a featured speaker, and Discovery Tables
- A monthly e-newsletter
- The Members Only section, which includes handouts and videos of presentations delivered at recent meetings and conferences
- The Surname Search database, where you can post family names and connect with others doing the same research
- A discount on registration fees for our annual conference
- A 40% discount on a Forces War Records subscription
- Free query and advisory services
- Opportunities to meet friendly people who share common interests and want to help others learn to research and share family history
Membership fees effective January 1, 2019
- Individual: $50
- Family (two people at the same address): $60
- Institutional (any institution, such as a publisher, supplier, library, or society): $50
- Online: Follow the instructions to join online. Membership is immediately approved and those interested can then login to register at the lower Member rate for our Conference or fee-based seminars.
- In person: come to one of our monthly meetings; you can pick up and submit a registration form there.
- By mail: print and complete the 2019 membership application form and mail it to the address indicated. Payment can be made by cheque or money order payable to BIFHSGO [or by cash at a meeting].
- Once we receive your completed paper form, you will receive a message from the Membership Director with information on how to access the Members Only section of our website.
- After 1 July each year new members can pay for a half-year membership when joining online. The cost is $30 for individuals and organizations and $35 for families (two people at the same address). If you prefer to mail the online form, please note that you want a 2019 half-year membership on the downloaded form.
- Online: log in to the Members Only section. Then, in the red margin on the left, click on Profile under Members Only. From there, you can easily renew, and your name and address are already entered for you.
- In person: come to one of our monthly meetings. Use the online registration form or pick one up at the meeting.
- By mail: print and complete the 2019 renewal form, then send it, with your cheque or money order, to the address on the form.
- Volunteer: We have a wide range of volunteer opportunities, whether you have a few hours to spare or more time to share. Visit our Volunteer Page for more information.