St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church Ottawa
Baptism Marriage and Death Records 1829 - 1949
St. Andrew’s is the oldest Protestant church in Ottawa (known earlier as Bytown). Generations of Ottawans have been baptized, married and buried from St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. The vast majority of these, particularly in the early years, were migrants to the area who had roots in the British Isles. The names of many of the founding families of Bytown, Hull and Ottawa who originated in the British Isles, such as Billings, Booth, Sparks and Lyon, can be found in the Church’s records of Baptisms (1829-1924), Marriages (1830-1949) and Deaths (1836-1892).
Donald McKenzie, a retired United Church minister, spent many hundreds of hours transcribing these records of the original entries from microfilm reels at Library and Archives Canada.
The book of transcripts has been augmented with full-page colour photographs of images from St. Andrew’s stained glass windows, taken with the kind permission of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church Memorial Committee.
The British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa is grateful to Mr. McKenzie for offering the Society the opportunity to publish these transcripts to celebrate the opening of the new City of Ottawa Central Archives and the Ottawa Public Library Materials Distribution Centre.
While quantities last, the book is available at the Sociey's Saturday meetings at a discount price and can be purchased online at our store. The book is also available from GlobalGenealogy.com