Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will be holding meetings online until further notice.
A new way to join BIFHSGO as a returning member or for the first time... you can do it using an e-transfer
For the last 25 years, BIFHSGO has provided a place for members with a British heritage to connect, learn, share and be inspired to new research avenues. Joining now means that we can continue to provide the best program and learning opportunities available, in these challenging times. We have many excellent talks lined up for the next year, as well as an exciting online conference in the works. Please consider joining today for 2021.
A double-header coming in March!
Saturday, 13 March 2021
Online - registration required
for the Education Talk
for the Feature Talk
(If you register for the Education Talk, you need not register again for this Feature Talk.)
A popular BIFHSGO speaker, Lucille Helen Campey, returns with two topics:
- Numbers not Names: Using British Government Publications to Locate Ancestors (9 a.m.) - exploring how census returns, customs records and the British Parliamentary Papers may help find clues for immigrants to Canada
- Canada's Irish Pioneers: Their Story (10.30 a.m.) – Even though Irish immigrants successfully settled in Canada, some politically-motivated people depicted them as sad and helpless exiles. Our speaker will demonstrate how the Irish are more deserving of our admiration and gratitude, than pity.
See what's new on our website...
Next Education and Feature Talks
on Saturday, 13 March - "Numbers not Names: Using British Government Publications to Locate Ancestors" and "Canada's Irish Pioneers: Their Story" (Lucille Helen Campey)
Handout and video of Christine Jackson's talk " “The Ragman’s Children: A Story of 19th-Century Economic Migration” are now available on the Members Only
- COVID Corner online learning in March and a heads up for the BIFHSGO virtual conference in September
Go to News
for the latest updates from BIFHSGO.
Online learning continues in March...
Probably the biggest family history conference was online this year. RootsTech just ended, but the videos
are available online throughout the year. There’s a lot to see… but there are other opportunities coming up for online learning:
- North Hills Genealogists are hosting Paul Milner (Effective Use of GENUKI: England’s Largest Free Genealogy Website) on 13 March
- FamilySearch is offering classes for beginners in March. One is on Canadian records, but the majority of the others are, not surprisingly, on Irish records
- If you don’t have Irish ancestors and are looking for something in March, The Scottish Indexes Conference IX is on 20 March 2021, featuring presentation by Audrey Collins, Chris Paton and Emma Jolly
- Family History Federation podcasts available online (including the 1939 Register, Serving with the East India Company, Unusual sources and finding aids to simplify research and more
And, of course, BIFHSGO will be hosting its own virtual conference in September. Watch this page for more information coming soon.
10 Mar 2021
The topic for this meeting will be "Greater London Moments in Genealogy." If you would like to attend, contact email@example.com / attention John ...
Numbers not Names: Using British Government Publications to Locate Ancestors
13 Mar 2021
Register Although census returns, customs records and the British Parliamentary Papers may seem like unlikely sources to use in tracking down a ...
Canada's Irish Pioneers: Their Story
13 Mar 2021
Register As pioneers, the Irish bestrode Canada. They were the largest immigrant group during Canada's formative years. They dug its canals, built its ...
British Colonial SIG
24 Mar 2021
For those interested in being added to the BCA mailing list and receiving invitations to the online meetings, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. ...
Scottish Genealogy Group
27 Mar 2021
Note the change of date and time. Are you interested in your Scottish roots? In discovering who your Scottish ancestors were and how they ...
DNA Special Interest Group
03 Apr 2021
Members meet to share experiences, information and ideas and learn about the use of DNA evidence in exploring family history. This month: ...
How to Tell a Compelling Family History Story
10 Apr 2021
Register- only one registration required for both Saturday morning events A timeline of dates, neatly matched to events and or achievements, encompasses ...
BIFHSGO is a registered charity and you can donate online through Canada Helps.